Re: Girths

After 25 years of distance riding and 18 years  in business, I have seen, heard and used many girths and saddles.  I still believe simple is best.  My experience/opinion/customer feedback regarding girths on the following:

1. Type of saddle/rigging
    a. English:
        1. not originally designed for many hours in the saddle.
        2. designed for great stability for speed and jumping.  Therefore the
            girth  placement very forward behind elbow. This often causes irritation
            due to movement and sweating.
    b. Western:
        1. Designed for
            a. quick movement and sure stability (roping, etc.)  OR
            b. long term rider comfort (herding)
        2. Rigging often very forward for this stability.  Sometimes rear cinch for even
            more stability.  Same problem as English above.
    c. Endurance and other type saddles
        1. designed for a specific type of activity
        2. those designed for endurance that are most successful for the most horses
            have girths placed further back.

2. Girths: materials
    a. Wool: considered a natural material to wick away moisture, cushion.
        1. problem of shrinkage (until pre-shrunk and washable wool came along)
        2. some horses, like people, have allergies to wool.
        3. fleece of any kind picks up burrs and other unwanted debris and can irritate.
    b. Cotton: Like wool, a natural fiber with wicking quality
        1. Same problems as wool
        2. Less allergy problem.
    c. Felt:
        1. Type of felt important (synthetic/wool/washable?)
        2. Less problems under most conditions.
    d. Synthetic Fleeces:
        1. Less expensive than wool, but wears quicker and may matt or pill.
        2. Similar problems to wool. Usually no allergy problems.
    e. Neoprene:
        1. Expensive
        2. Slick skin is supposed to let moisture roll off when in fact, the skin can
            grab hair and cause irritation.
        3. Heat retention can cause scalding.
    f. Neoprene with cloth side towards horse (as used in wet suits)
        1. No grabbing of hair
        2. breathes somewhat
        3. flexibility and padding both provided.

Bottom line: I believe that most problems are caused by improper use and application of both saddles and materials.  Endurance saddle are designed for long term comfort for both horse and rider, NOT stability.  Choose your horse (back conformation of prime importance),
saddle, girth and pad (originally designed to protect the saddle, not the horse) carefully.  And above all, remember to keep it simple.  If what you have ain't broke...don't fix it.

Teddy