Bilmore Newsflash

The Biltmore 50/100 was held Saturday, and was one to remember.
Temperatures and humidity combined for a 135 heat index.  (The head-vet
from Canada said over 150 they recommend you stop the ride).  This ride
had over 9,000 feet of elevation changes.  I saw horses from California,
Maine, Vermont, Florida, Kansas, Texas and just about everywhere else.
Do you want to talk about BIG RIGS?  Ann Ayala (manager) hugged me for
being one of two people who showed up with a 2 horse trailer!

47 horses started in the 100...23 finished

87 horses started the 50...49 finished.  It was TOUGH.

First place in the 100 was Debbie Gordon on CBS Redman.  She gave an
acceptance speech where she gave LOTS of credit to ABC's new product
"Joint Jolt" or something like that.

2nd was Valarie Kanavy and Cash.

3rd was ummm I think...the stallion from California, Zane Grey (who
camped by me, was a perfect gentleman, and never made a peep)

4th, but he might have been third, and the stallion might have been 4th
was Melissa Craine and Charbiel.  Melissa also won BC (and had high vet
score) for the 2nd straight year.

1st in the 50 went to "Awesome" with Dawn Sanchez up.
BC went to a HW I don't know, who was 2nd AND had the high vet score

And the information I'm sure you care most about...Kaboot and I finished
15th.  YEA!!!!!!

As you can see, horses were getting pulled right and left.  I heard a
rumor at the 75 mile mark (for me) that 7 horses had tied up.  At the 88
mile mark that number jumped to 9.  As it turned out, they were not true
tie-ups.  For example.  At the 88 mile mark a horse near me who had
already passed his check just laid down.  When they asked him to stand he
was as wobbly as a foal.  The problem was ELECTROLYTES, or the lack
thereof.  The head vet said this was how most cases went.  They just gave
the horses electrolytes.  He said many horses who pulled for lameness,
walked up the hill to their stuff, then the horses appeared to
tie-up...but after being given electrolytes, they got better VERY
quickly.  Scarey.  After seeing what happened to the 9th (and he was fine
after electrolytes) it put the fear of humidity into me, and I took 3 hr.
and 15 min. to walk/graze out way through the last 12.5 miles...of course
1/2 the time I couldn't see my hand in front of my face, and the other
half was on big gravel.  Finished with a healthy happy horse.  Vet
complemented me, so I had a good time at least.  I used Jeannie Waldron's
new electrolytes.  When I bought them from Roger, he said they hadn't
been tested by too many people in competition yet.  They have now!  I was
happy.  Joe Edwards used them too.

By the way, my horse has had trouble with gut sounds in the past.  Don't
think he's ever had an A, even at vet in.  At the first vet check they
gave him a C!  Then Joe Edwards gave me some of ABC's probiotics.  At the
next vet check he got an A, and at ever check the rest of the day!!!!!!
I'm sold.  Then...surprise surprise, my top 20 award was a wonderful
trial pack from ABC.  It has a new electrolyte syringe, (need that) some
electrolytes, and some PROBIOTICS!!!  Thank you ABC!!! You have made a
friend.  By the way, since I don't drink and part of the completion award
was a bottle of wine from the Biltmore winery, I traded for what they
gave the Jrs.  ABC vitamins.  THANKS ABC

  Now it's nap time!

Angie McGhee and Kaboot (a tough little horse with very thin shoes.)

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]