Re: head swinger

I've observed this behavior lots in a herd, esp with stallions.  The head
swing, or toss, that I am talking about is a quick upward toss of the head,
usually off to one side or the other.  Usually done at the trot, but I've
had stallions do it while holding them.  It is a dominance thing.  I think
of it like giving you (or another horse) the bird!
In my book this is a discipline problem for sure anytime the animal is
being handled.  Never had a horse do this while riding, so I may not be
describing the behavior you are incurring.
Hope this helps.
Louise Burton
Firedance Farms Arabians
OK