Re: MECHANICAL FATIGUE

At 11:56 AM 5/14/1998 EDT, you wrote:

>While this statement is true, many of us have assigned mathematical values to
>as many parameters as possible so that we are at least consistent from horse
>to horse.  Lameness is still the toughest to define mathematically.  But
>things like skin tenting, cap refill time, gut sounds, etc., are very easy to
>define mathematically and assign values to.
>
>One reason why BC scores are usually all done by the same vet, though, is
that
>lameness is still hard for two people to score alike, even if they agree that
>there is a problem, and what the problem is.

	Let's face it -- the ONLY completely UN-SUBJECTIVE "Fact" is the stop
watch or whether or not an object was dislodged --

	Granted, establishing mathematical values assists us in ranking what we
see, but the main issue is that, whatever benchmark is used, a judge must
remain absolutely true and evaluate every horse by precisely the same
standard.

	Years ago I judged an ECTRA ride where a horse I knew well was presented.
He just didn't wasn't in the bloom I knew he had shown on other occasions.
I worked very hard to remind myself that I had to judge ONLY what was in
front of me that day!

	As CMNewell, DVM pointed out:

>>>	On ECTRA rides, there are usually both a veterinary and a lay judge. Very
often, the mechanical fatigue score is given jointly by both. It ain't just
the vet...<<<<

	AND -- the "lay" judge is sometimes "tougher" than the veterinary judge!
Once I judged with a vet who informed me that I would be taking care of the
"barnacle" scores (MM, tack, etc.) -- HE would take care of the systemic
and locomotion areas.  Fine -- I'd always wanted an opportunity to "score"
a horse upon presentation, because I've always felt that there are horses
who actually improve with the effort -- peaking, as it were, DURING the
competition.  If scoring is 100% based upon the presentation of the animal,
the occasional superbly prepared athlete who DOES improve does not receive
the recognition he should.

	Well, it turned out that my "eyes" were actually finer tuned than the
vet's, and, when he saw me nodding in accompaniment to a horse being
trotted, he asked my opinion.  He took a second look at the animal in
question and there went my experiment because he asked that I score the
locomotion as well!

	In turn I asked him to keep my judging objective since I'd fallen head
over heels for a 17 h.h. Thoroughbred Mule who to the day is probably the
most correct mover I've ever had the pleasure to observe.

	I wish the long distance sports were geared to promote the attention to
condition first and THEN speed.  I know -- soap box time -- BUT the 3 day
100's (CTR) (based on the old cavalry tests as ECTRA and SEDRA type rides
are) provide an excellent venue to produce horses that can go on and on
---- most of the successful eastern FEI riders include CTR's to provide
base without the stresses of speed.

IMHO  (O.K, maybe NOT so humble!)
Barbara