Re: MECHANICAL FATIGUE

In a message dated 98-05-13 14:25:15 EDT, Teddy@runningbear.com writes:

<<
 Concerning "subjectivity":  While it may not be the intent of CTR's or ER's
for that
 matter, the judge/vet must cal it has he sees it.  As we all know, one person
does not
 see things the way another does.  I do not believe most judging is purposely
 "subjective", but judgement calls must be used.  Judgement is opion, granted,
 experienced or professional opinion, but definately opinion.

 The ONLY objective judgement is one based on FACT. >>

While this statement is true, many of us have assigned mathematical values to
as many parameters as possible so that we are at least consistent from horse
to horse.  Lameness is still the toughest to define mathematically.  But
things like skin tenting, cap refill time, gut sounds, etc., are very easy to
define mathematically and assign values to.

One reason why BC scores are usually all done by the same vet, though, is that
lameness is still hard for two people to score alike, even if they agree that
there is a problem, and what the problem is.

Heidi