Re: MECHANICAL FATIGUE

In a message dated 98-05-14 01:43:25 EDT, katswig@deltanet.com writes:

<< However, "gait irregularity" and "lameness" are not necessarily the same
 thing...and I STILL haven't figured out how to tell whether a horse with a
 gait irregularity is lame. >>

That is something that takes a very practiced eye and experience watching
thousands of horses.  Even then, one is sometimes fooled.  I do get upset with
some of the ride vets who seem to try to see who can pick up the pickiest
irregularity and make an issue of it--when there is something minor that is
most apt to be an irregularity, better to do a quick exam to rule out obvious
problems, duly note the observation, discuss it with the rider, and keep an
eye on it.

Heidi