sponge vs. scoop

> Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 04:26:40 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Gabrielle Wilhovsky <gabwil@yahoo.com>
> To: ridecamp@endurance.net
> Subject: Sponge vs. Scoop
>
> I don't recall ever seeing this debate.  I usually carry both since
> you can dip your sponge on-the-fly in any source of water, and you can
> scoop from the water tanks because they won't make the water dirty.
>
> However, which one do folks think is better for overall cooling of the
> horse at the vet stops and at the end of the ride?

i carry both. for the same reasons you noted. the scoop is far superior
to putting large quantities of water on your horse at the vets and at
end of ride. i also can "throw" the water without having to go back and
forth from trough to horse. i get a lot of water up between my horse's
back legs this way...i only use the sponge during the ride...

cyndi craig
donerail farm
alvin, tx