Respiration as recovery index???

Hello everyone!

It is raining again in No. Cal...and it is cold!!! No fair!!! (whine,
whine, whine..any cheese?)

ok, Question,

Heartrates are really hard for me to hear on Mystery...he is pretty calm
and has a very low normal resting heartrate (around 38) and recovers
very quickly.  I do not have a HRM and cannot hear it with a
steopthescope (I know, I spelt that wrong!).

So, I figured when we pull a hill I would use his respiration as a
recovery index but I have no guidance.  We pulled a nice long steady
hill on Sunday and at the top the first 15 seconds his respiratory was
22.  By the end of a minute it was 18 and I could feel he wasn't fully
recovered.  Keep in mind I'm having him walk while he recovers.  Why?
Because I don't want him to stiffen up and I know for humans that they
should keep moving so they don't get cramps.  I'm sure there are other
reason though...anyone want to share?

So, next hill was not as long or as steep, his first 15 seconds was at
18, by the time a minute is up he is breathing normally and I
guess-a-mate completely recovered.

Are there some guidelines someone can throw at me in regards to this?
Is this a good idea?

Thanks in advance and happy, safe riding to you'all!

Kimberly & Mystery the Morab
Pt.Reyes, CA