first aid for people too

I ride with two friends, one of whom is an EMT2. She put together an
"emergency kit" that we carry on all our rides, short & long. It all fits
into a large cantle bag. My other riding companion and I both took a Medic
First Aid (CPR/First Aid) class just in case our EMT isn't with us or if
she happens to be the one needing help. As we all know, accidents and
horses seem to go together and being properly medic-trained seemed prudent,
especially since a lot of our training and endurance rides are in
out-of-the-way places.

My EMT2 friend says "...so many times we try to be prepared for horses
getting hurt we forget we too can be hurt. I strongly suggest to at least
get a first response card and if possible become an EMT-Basic. So many of
us ride in remote areas with no other help available. With the correct
training we can help one another if necessary."

Here's what's in our "emergency kit":
waterproof matches
long burning candle
mini flash light (check the batteries periodically)
twine or rope
space blanket
knit hat
stethoscope
tape
gauze
Kotex pad
4x4 bandages
ace bandage
vet wrap
self contained betadine swabs
power bars
vinyl gloves (let's play Dr. type)
Benadryl
Tylenol
airway devices (to be used only if properly trained)
scissors
We always carry water, extra water & a jacket -- it gets cold out there
after dark!
And cell phone if you have one (of course there's no service available
where we ride most of the time. I am going to have a cigarette lighter
installed on my new endurance saddle so I can plug in my phone.)