Condition of horse after first endurance ride.

From: Maja Stopek
Email: benman@swipnet.se

I rode my first endurance ride last weekend. It was a clear round of about 30 miles (47,5 km to be exact), so it was not very far. We rode in 4 hours and I have been training my horse for this gradually for the past six months or so. He had a real low pulse at the vet checks.
The day after the ride I let him rest. To just hang out in the pasture with the other horses.
Today I took him out for a ride for a an hour. I the woods he went great and we took it pretty easy. On the way home we rode through the village, on some asfalt, just walking. But I noticed he was stiff and even seemed to be limping (but hardly noticable). Beginner as I am I would like to know if it is normal for the horse to be that way or if I should start wondering about if I have been overdoing it?
The endurance ride was not many steps on asfalt but had some hardpacked dirt roads.
Sincerely Maja Stopek