re: farriers

I recently experienced the need to change farriers too.
Luckily in our area, there are alot of horses and farriers.
This was the approach I used.
I asked around and came up with several names that sounded
promising (I'm used to the 4 point trim style), then I found
out some of their clients who lived close to me- and all of
them agreed to let me come over and look at their horse's feet.
And I talked to them also about reliability, prices, willingness
to work with vet without major territorial tantrums etc. I don't
want my horse to be in the middle of anyone's ego wars.(been there)
And I found a reliable guy who does a great job, also does my vet
chiropractor's horses. I always pay when he's there, and we schedule
the next appt. Even though I am not competing right now, when I was-
my former farrier (who did a great job with my last horse
and was really a part of the "team") sat down with me and we looked
over the tentative competition schedule to make sure we were at the
right place for the big rides and we would review what worked well
or didn't. He thought it was great fun to be involved in the strategies
of an endurance horse- most of his clients were eventers.
Deb LaBerge