Re: Vaccinations

>Help, I vaccinated my endurance mare yesterday
>with Fort Dodge 4-way and Rhino.  She has been
>vaccinated the last three years the same way.  Today
>she is so stiff she can hardly walk and she keeps
>rotating lifting of one foot.  I was able to get about 1gm of
>powedered bute into her.  What else can I do she looks
>so awful.
>
>Thanks
>Julia

If she is like Misty it was probably the Rhino that did it.  I do not
vaccinate for Rhino unless it is a pregnant mare or a mare I am about to
breed.  I also give all shots in the hamstring. They seems to have fewer
with a shot there than in the neck and they tend to walk it out easier.
Make sure your horse will accept a shot there before you try or you might
take a long unplanned flight accross the pasture.

If it were mine horse, I'd give 1 gm of bute twice a day for a few days and
turn the horse out to move around as much as possible.

Truman

Truman Prevatt
Mystic "The Horse form Hell" Storm
Little Stormy - "She wasn't with us long - but boy will we miss her"
The Rockman, a.k.a Misty Jr.
Jordy, a.k.a. Bridger - Finaly getting his shot

Sarasota, FL