Re: Fractured Sesamoid?

Susan's nutritional advice for getting this horse down to a roughage diet was
good.

As to treatment--you may not be entirely successful in getting her to "rest"
but don't despair.  Small paddock is fine, even if there is a bit of
cavorting.  Still does not compare to the steady exercise of riding.  My
foundation stallion, Surrabu, had a basilar sesamoid fracture when he was 16
years old--split the bone horizontally just about  right in two!  Opted not to
do surgery at his age, as I didn't feel the odds were very good, and he meant
too much to me as a breeding stallion whether he ever got totally sound or
not.  Spent several months doing passive flexion (should have been more
diligent at that, as he did get some adhesions) and keeping him in a support
wrap.  Did a slow 50 14 months later--could "feel" the leg, as he had a
somewhat limited range of motion, but he was essentially sound.  That was
before the days of "fit to continue" so I let him gallop the last few miles.
Was lamer than all get-out afterward, and boy, did I feel like a heel!  Best
thing I ever did for him, though, because that gallop tore loose the
adhesions, and after a brief recuperation, he went back to work, no longer had
a limited range of motion, and went on the next season to 5 rides--4 Top Tens
and one win at age 18.  Did his last ride at age 20 and was sound until he
died a few years later.

Heidi