Re: Fractured Sesamoid?

> She's been on a balanced feed (LMF Ener-G) for the last 6-8 months, so I
> haven't been using any other supplements. I am concerned that the sudden
> diet change, may cause other problems or leave her lacking in something
> essential. What is recommended during layoff / rehab periods?

Hi Bruce,

Nutritionally, if you're going to make a change down to No Grain, it
would probably be best to take a week or so to cut her down to a zero
ration.  This only applies if she was getting a substantial amount of
grain, like more than four or five pounds.  If less than that, take a
week to cut her down to zero and let it go at that.  The reason is
because the microbial population is currently adapted to expecting a
certain ratio of grains and roughages, and I always prefer to make
substantial changes (up or down) fairly slowly to allow the bugs to
adapt---otherwise, you can have sudden microbial population shifts,
possibly large die-offs in certain species and upset tummies.  If
nothing else, if a horse is expecting a grain meal (the highlight of the
day around here, those pigs) and doesn't get it, they can get even more
wound up pacing the fence and shouting for you to get out there with
their bloody breakfast.  If you cut it down over a week or so, they get
resigned to life a little better, plus being easier on the bug
population.

Depending on what hay you're feeding, you can get the vast majority of
the nutrition you need for a horse at rest.  Legumes aren't necessary, a
good grass hay such as bermuda or timothy or whatever is in your area is
better.  Check with a local extension agent or nutritionally knowledge
DVM in your area to see if any particular minerals are deficient in your
area, such as Se in the NW.  If so, you might want to supplement with a
small amount of a vit-min mix, but you won't need much.  Also make sure
the grass hay is sufficient in calcium, some have a balanced
calcium-phosphorus ratio, some don't.  If she starts losing weight, try
adding some soaked beet pulp to munch on rather than grain---a little
added nutrition and alot of entertainment value without as much octane
as a concentrated ration.  For that matter, giving her a pound or two of
beet pulp daily would'nt be a bad idea anyway---with any grass hay, it's
a nice, balanced diet without adding alot of soluble carbohydrates or
protein---just what she needs during her recuperation period.

Good luck, hang in there and let me know if this doesn't answer your
questions (the nutritional ones, anyway). :-)

Seeya,

Susan Garlinghouse