Fractured Sesamoid?

In preparing for our first ride of the season last week, I found some
swelling in Star's LF fetlock. Everything appeared normal, no apparent pain
or lameness, so she spent the weekend in rest mode. This week after the
swelling had gone down, I found a knot on the suspensory ligament. To the
Vet. After what seemed like hours of poking, prodding, watching her move and
X-rays, the diagnosis is a fractured sesamoid with some slight suspensory
damage. Prognosis, her season is over, approx 6 months of no go. Long term,
it doesn't appear to be a career ending injury, even though there may be
some stiffness or loss of motion.

The problem is how do you convince a fit horse, with no lameness that
running & trotting is out for a while ( battleship anchors are real hard to
find in Idaho)? Bute, no grain, confined area, but she still wants to trot &
run. Leading her at a walk is a major pain, after all I've spent the last
year teaching her to trot out.

She's been on a balanced feed (LMF Ener-G) for the last 6-8 months, so I
haven't been using any other supplements. I am concerned that the sudden
diet change, may cause other problems or leave her lacking in something
essential. What is recommended during layoff / rehab periods?

The vet has recommended that the chip not be removed, and I feel that is
probably a correct call. If anyone else has had experience with this type of
injury, I would appreciate a synopsis of your experience, especially rehab
methods and post injury experience.

Gonna be a long, lonely summer.

Bruce
Emmett, ID