Re: more on high altitudes

CMKSAGEHIL wrote:

> In a message dated 98-04-18 02:17:01 EDT, suendavid@worldnet.att.net writes:
>
> << But anyway, vitamin E is probably not a benefit in horses, at least not
>  specifically for altitude adaptation.
>   >>

> Glad you added that last line, Susan--can think of all sorts of other benefits
> of vitamin E, but not much help for altitude adaptation.

Not to beat a dead horse (so to speak) but yup, this bears repeating!
Almost all of the rations I've analyzed seem to be deficient in vitamin
E, except those with alot of rice bran in the ration.  I'd never feed
rice bran just for the vitamin e content, but I do supplement my horses
with a little extra tocopherol---there's increasing data that horses DO
benefit from a little extra E and the rumblings are that when and if new
NRC recommendations are ever released, the recommended vitamin E levels
will be considerably higher than current levels.  So E is a Good
Thing---it just won't help specifically with altitude adaptation.

Susan