Re: Perform'N Win

I offer some comments on Per/Win.
First - we use it for our CTR horses. They take it in the feed no
problem. We dont have to dose them.. most of the time.. I like it for
that reason. They do well with about 1 scoop- oz in each feeding.. If
its hot I give a dose by syringe in  the am and at lunch and at the
finish.

Now for endurnace and faster rides.
There has been reports from many riders --I know--that had 'problems'
during and after a race.. horses that never had problems before.. the
only change was the electrolytes from Enduralytes to Perf/Win.
They had assorted problems but most were HR related. High pulse.. slow
recovery.. errattic pulse.. up-down etc..
Without a lot of discussion the following points may be very valid.
The Perf/Win is/ or may be low in K potassium.. riders have added lite
salt.
The product is 'weak' compared to enduralytes and some others.
  You have to feed about 3 times the amount. As in up to 3 oz per dose
IF the ride is fast and hot.. maybe more.
It contains higher levels of sugar  as in dextrose and sucrose.. two
types listed on the lable in two places.. yes we need a little dextrose
to help in the up-take of the ionized electrolytes.. but what is too
much? not sure

I have used this in a few endurnace rides and I felt the horse DID NOT
stay hydrated as well.. I DID NOT incease the doseage
 the lable is not clear on this point  NOR does the lable on the
Enduralytes say how much to give a running end horse.. both say add 1 oz
to 10 gal of water..

But we  took our directions from the developer of Enduralyte   Dr
Waldron .. Feed 1.5 oz MIN per dose at every VC  and some in-between..
like 6 oz or more for 50 miles..

So we shift to another product and do not understand the formaulation
nor strength.. and then try to use it the same as product A.. cant do
that..

I have opted to concentrate on one product for an activity;
Since Enduralytes  the old standby for years is now being superceeded by
the new KER Endura-MAX   and Dr Waldron et-all is supporting that one..
I have NOT tried it yet.. dont have any..
I will get some to test-- NOT TO SELL.---
I am dropping Enduralytes.

I am having 'problems ' getting enduralytes at a good price.. AND since
it IS reported to ALSO be deficient in K and well as quite acidict..
riders add lite salt- and malox and pro-bi  to 'buff' it up.. We no
longer believe this product to be state-of the art..

Our new choice is the ABC RIDE-RITE. A new formualtion.. based loosely
on enduralytes.. but with all the problems corrected.
The only thing I add extra is pro-bi..and that is not really needed if
the guts are working well.
We used it last year and for all the rides this year- endurance-
Results have been good.
I did under dose at one ride..have to feed about 1 to 2 oz per dose per
vc.. and in the AM.. I also pre-load the day before the ride..I failed
to do that at the fast Kty ride because it was 'cold'  my error the
carbo rat needed the electrolytes since we wwent faster then normal.

We will still carry Perf/Win  for those who get good results.. but
mostly since all my CTR horses take it so well.. we will use it for
them.. of course I can add some to the feed of the endurance horse
too..but it works quite well for the CTR comps.

We dont want to bother with 4 or 5 different mixes.. we want to carry
and use a few that work and work well.

Maybe after the new Endura-Max gets some race miles and we get to test
it  we will offer that..
I dont like the idea of using different electrolytes at the rides.. I
want to use one that works and use it all the time..

Roger R