Re Tranquilising for shoeing

Hi Lysanne.
We had a stallion that we had to tranquilise about 8 years ago,we
tranquilised him a couple of times for the farrier about 4 times ,by then
he started getting used to having his feet picked up,we also made the
effort to reward him when he did not kick and punishment when he did(a good
whack on his side)He soon learnt tp behave himself and to realise we were
not  trying to do away with his crown jewels or anything like that.To this
day I still dislike picking up horses back feet.Learnt a good couple of
lessons with the stallion.
He is now fine can walk up to him anytime ,anywhere and pick up his hind
legs.He also onece kicked the Vet (on the vets bad knee) not good either
,we were told either your horse behaves or you wont get a vet near him
therefor cant ride.It ius not fair to the vets to have to try and check a
horses hind legs if they kick .We cant have our vets hurt now can we .
Just my 2 cents worth
Regards
kathy
http://196.7.177.40/aht/