Re: Perform'N Win

>I offer some comments on Per/Win.
>First - we use it for our CTR horses. They take it in the feed no
>problem. We dont have to dose them.. most of the time.. I like it for
>that reason. They do well with about 1 scoop- oz in each feeding.. If
>its hot I give a dose by syringe in  the am and at lunch and at the
>finish.
>
>Now for endurnace and faster rides.
>There has been reports from many riders --I know--that had 'problems'
>during and after a race.. horses that never had problems before.. the
>only change was the electrolytes from Enduralytes to Perf/Win.

My current horse is a bear about taking anything, wormer, electrolytes you
name it.  he will  Perform and Win take in his water soaked feed, Farr
Legacy, at the check or anyplace else on the trail. At least that way I
know what he is getting rather than trying to estimate how much enduralytes
he got by trying to figure out how much I am wearing.

I have actually been known to carry a pound of feed with electrolytes in my
fanny pack with a collapsable bucket, stop at a stream, wet the feed and
feed and electrolyte the old boy.  This is faster than me trying to get
applesause and electrolyte down his gullet.  I usually end up wearing it.

I use a min of 2 and usually 3 oz of Perform and Win.  I have seen no
problems and the ease makes it worth while.

While we strive for the perfect electrolyte one should keep in mind that
there is no such thing.  Every horse is going to be a little different and
a formulation and amount for one horse will be different for another.  We
need to experiment and see what works the best for out horse.

One interesting observation.  At the 1996 FL classic one of the better FL
horses had an irregular heart beat at the end.  She completed and the horse
was fine but the vet detected a slight irregularity in the heart rate.  We
were discussing electrolytes later and the horse had been given large doses
3 Oz per check - about every 12 to 15 miles of enduralyets with extra
potassium (NuSalt which is pure KCl). It was a fairly cool but very humid
day.  Since this is the first time this horse had this problem the vet
theorized that she had actually given him too much K+ - that potassium
could have caused an irregular heart beat.

K+ poses a very interesting problem.  It's true levels are what the system
theorist call "nonobservable".  It's true state can only be surmized from
blood work not directly measured.  I think we have a long way to go before
we get to the "state of the art" on optimal electrolyte supplementation -
but that is what makes this sport so interesting.

Truman

Truman Prevatt
Mystic "The Horse form Hell" Storm
Little Stormy - "She wasn't with us long - but boy will we miss her"
The Rockman, a.k.a Misty Jr.
Jordy, a.k.a. Bridger - Finaly getting his shot

Sarasota, FL