Re: Going barefoot

On Thu, 16 Apr 1998, Beth Glace wrote:

> I am wondering if I should put shoes on my horse, and was hoping
> someone can enlghten me.  What factors go into the decision to shoe?
> She is being ridden on packed dirt trails with minimal rocks or
> gravel, grass fields, and the ring, with no paved roads.  Her feet
> are not chipping, and she has never been ouchy, but the recent
> discussion regarding bruises now has me concerned.  Can anyone offer
> advice? Pros and cons?

If she starts chipping up her feet or getting ouchy....that's the time to
consider providing some kind of hoof protection (of which shoes are one).

If she is comfortable without them, leave them off (it's cheaper and
better for her feet and legs...bare feet are the best shock absorbers).

I find that I have to shoe if I am putting on too many miles as the hoof
does not grow fast enough to replace what is being worn off.  I didn't put
shoes on my horse until I started doing 100 milers and multi day rides.
And _I_ ride in rocks, DG, gravel, ... and have NEVER had a stone bruise.
NOt all horses get them.

kat
Orange County, Calif.