Re: Going barefoot

Beth Glace wrote:

> I am wondering if I should put shoes on my horse, and was hoping
> someone can enlghten me.  What factors go into the decision to shoe?
> She is being ridden on packed dirt trails with minimal rocks or
> gravel, grass fields, and the ring, with no paved roads.  Her feet
> are not chipping, and she has never been ouchy, but the recent
> discussion regarding bruises now has me concerned.  Can anyone offer
> advice? Pros and cons?
>  Beth

It sure seems to me tht if it ain't broke, don't fix it.  If she were
mine, I would ask my shoer (in your case, trimmer) to make sure she
wasn't bruising or ouchy.  If not, and if you're not planning on
drastically upping her workload, and not planning on any endurance
rides, then why put on shoes?

However, I'll be the first to admit that this is out of my field, so I'm
iinterested to hear what others with more experience have to say.

Susan Garlinghouse