Going barefoot

I am wondering if I should put shoes on my horse, and was hoping
someone can enlghten me.  What factors go into the decision to shoe?
She is being ridden on packed dirt trails with minimal rocks or
gravel, grass fields, and the ring, with no paved roads.  Her feet
are not chipping, and she has never been ouchy, but the recent
discussion regarding bruises now has me concerned.  Can anyone offer
advice? Pros and cons?
 Beth