Re: Trimming Trails

Here on the central coast of California we have a lot of designated wilderness
in the national forests and we are not supposed to use any motorized equipment
(ie chain saws) in the wilderness.  We keep the trails clear as much as we can
ourselves and we usually don't ask if it is OK.  The forest service is so
understaffed and underfunded that they don't do much trail maintainence.  They
happily look the other way when we clear trails.

There is a new piece of equipment available for clearing trails.  It is a
battery operated chain saw made by Makita.  I can carry it on horseback on my
back in a daypack.  It is not nearly as powerful as a regular gas chainsaw,
but it works well on the smaller stuff.  It is very lightweight and relatively
quiet.

Debby Lyon
San Luis Obispo, CA