Re: Alternative Therapies

In a message dated 98-04-16 01:04:28 EDT, Spiritdog2@aol.com writes:

<< Just a note as to why I think alternative therapies have been deemed
illegal.
 I used to practice lazer therapy and one of the side-effects of lazer is the
 inhibiting of pain sensation.  Obviously, this could be a serious matter if a
 lazered horse is injured along the trail.  You and the horse may not even
 realize you have a problem.  Then an injury that might have been handled
 easily could turn into something really serious.

Randi, you are absolutely right.  As a veterinarian, I have referred patients
for laser therapy, and they are obviously made more comfortable.  As a patient
myself, I can testify to the fact that laser, ionized air, and chiropractic
adjustment can often provide immediate relief from pain, and I imagine other
modalities can, too.  It seems to me that such pain relief, if applied at a
vet check, might easily make an injured horse sufficiently comfortable to pass
a veterinary check, only to continue down the trail and turn a mild injury
into a severe one.  Not much different than a shot of Bute.  Both approaches
might well be part of the therapy for the injury, but neither are appropriate
to keep the horse in the competition.

Heidi