Re: changing leads

> Was interested to hear Donna Snyder-Smith comment on this recently--she
> contends that the frequent changes upset the breathing rythm, and recommends
> going further between changes.  Main point is to just try to be on one
> approximately half of the time and on the other approximately half of the
> time.  Likewise with the leads at a canter.  Makes sense by my own
> experiences, too.

Just when you think you've learned something ... <BG> I can certainly see
the logic in the statement above.

My concerns in changing every mile or so are (1) it's much more difficult
to keep track of when you last changed, (2) the overrun is much greater if
you don't change on time, and (3) either Lakota or I (or both) have a
definite preference for one side over the other, so anything that happens
to interrupt his gait (a stumble, a spook, a slowdown or speedup or large
adjustment of stride due to uneven terrain) throws me back on the
preferred diagonal.  I mean every single time.  That's why I thought
changing every 20 strides was a good way to even things up, get me in the
habit of changing so often, and I don't end up on the preferred lead for
more than 20 strides at a time, regardless of gait aberrations.

How do you think these considerations compare to breaking the breathing
rhythm?  Do you think the horse can adjust his breathing to this shorter
lead-change rhythm, or will the multiple lead changes tire him more
quickly on longer distances?

Glenda & Lakota
Mobile, AL