RE: changing leads

We have lots of rides through woods that have tons of turns.  Quite
often we do a nice canter through these (I'm not talking the
pole-bending type woods we sometimes have on rides - hard to canter at
all in these!) and my horse now automatically changes leads given the
direction of the turn.  I used to slow her and ask for the flying change
but now she sees the turn and makes the adjustment herself.  Also
automatically takes the shortest distance down the trail - the inside
track on turns as possible.  Smart horse!  As for changing diagonals
while trotting, I try to change every mile if I am posting - I two point
quite a bit too so I might do right diagonal for a mile, two point for a
mile, left diagonal for a mile - just whatever the terrain allows.

--
Trish
AERC Central