Re: changing leads

CMKSAGEHIL wrote:

> In a message dated 98-04-04 17:59:22 EST, grs@theneteffect.com writes:
>
> <<  I think this is much better than my
>  former method of changing every mile or so. >>
>
> Was interested to hear Donna Snyder-Smith comment on this recently--she
> contends that the frequent changes upset the breathing rythm, and recommends
> going further between changes.

I've noticed the same in my mare & the gelding...  If I change posting
leads too frequently, they have to rearrange their breathing pattern and
actually begin to get peaved with me.  As they settle into a rhythm,
they breath in on one trot stride and out on the next.  At a gallop,
they breath in on the suspended moment and out as they get ready to push
off again.  They mare used to snort with each breath if she was enjoying
herself.  We could <never> sneak up on anybody that way!

I've found that for helping them transition to a different breathing
pattern when I change posting diagonals, I stand/2 point for a beat
rather than sit for a single beat.  It seems to make them happier.  (No,
I don't "bounce" or sit heavily when I sit a beat :-)!!!)

We change diagonals every 10-15 minutes (approximately every mile when
training).  We maintain a similar schedule when the horse canters.  As
with many horses, Rocket is a bit one sided if left to his own design.
We need to pay special attention to getting him to use himself evenly.

I have seen horses who developed one side over another that their backs
were horribly uneven.  Talk about a saddle fitting nightmare!

Linda Flemmer
Blue Wolf Ranch
Bruceton Mills, WV