Re: NATRC/endurance

I thought NATRC was a good place for the beginner to learn about long
distance
riding, horsemanship, manners, etc.  However, the rides are much more
expensive than the average LD ride and so I think it is discouraging to
beginners.  I also think it is discouraging to beginners because NATRC is
soooo picky that all the strict rules become overwhelming for the new
horse and rider.  At only the second ride I'd ever been to, on my very
first horse I'd ever owned, and after only a few months of riding (i.e. I
was very new) I attended a NATRC ride where my horse rushed a hill and I
lost control going up the hill but regained it at the top. At the ride
meeting that night the horsemanship judge literally creamed me in front
of everyone and said many hurtful and embarrassing comments about me and
my horse.  It was so bad that several NATRC regulars approached him and he
made a public apology the next night.
	Needless to say, I have never attended another NATRC ride, and I
doubt I ever will.
	I would rather ride the hills in my back yard than pay someone
$50-60 to tell me I really suck.  I thought the idea of NATRC was to  offer
suggestions for improvement, but that was not my experience.

DH & JJ