NATRC/endurance

Wendy Milner wrote:

> They still don't allow electrolytes to be "forced" on a horse.
> Either the horse takes a drink of electrolyte water or they
> don't get any.  No force feeding of anything.

This is not true. Last year they changed the rule on this to allow
electrolytes to be given by syringe, effective Jan. 1 of this year. So
now that is an option. In the past, electrolytes were to be offered in
feed, water or free choice. I never put them in my horse's water. I
offered them free choice or added some to his feed when needed. I also
made electrolyte cookies, which my horses love and gobble up. With the
rule change now allowing electrolytes to be given by syringe, I'll use
that option when I feel necessary. But, for the most part, my horses
will still get their cookies. I'd rather give them something they enjoy
eating and look at as a treat.

> No forward progress on foot.  You can't walk your horse.
> You can't tail up a steep mountain.
>
> I'm sure there are other rules.  If people want to go by these
> rules, then go to a CRT.  Don't add more rules to Endurance,
> even Limited Distance Endurance.

Yes, NATRC has tons of rules. If a person took the time to think out the
reasoning behind all these rules, they really do make a lot of sense.
These competitive trail rides are not the same sport - and were never
intended to be - as endurance riding. The purpose is to test how well
the horse can carry its rider a specified distance, coming out of it as
sound as possible and without losing condition and/or manners points.
It's much easier on the horse if I get off and tail up a steep hill.
But, these rides are designed to test the horse's soundness and
abilities, and by asking every horse to do these things the same -
carrying the rider - there is a good basis for comparison and judging.

Again, this is not endurance. But it's also not an informal ride in the
park, either. When you look at the whole picture, consider what you see
at some of our state parks in trail riding. You have the weekend camper,
heading out on the trail on his overweight, unfit, often poorly shod
horse, who's often wearing equipment that doesn't fit and the poor horse
is sore as hell by the end of the weekend, or wearing a tie-down cuz
that's the only way the rider can control him (and then you see them
wading out into the creek or river to water the horse...), six-pack of
beer in the insulated saddlepack behind the saddle, etc. etc. You get
the picture. On the other end of the scale, you have the ultimate
endurance rider - with the super well-conditioned, athlete horse that is
what we all strive for. Those who do well put a lot of effort into the
training and conditioning of their horses, using the best fitting
equipment, feed, etc. that they can possibly obtain. I see NATRC as just
below the endurance horse/riders. NATRC offers the average horse
owner/rider a way to learn about how to ride trails safely, condition
and care for their horse properly to ensure that the animal will make it
through a distance ride sound and not overly stressed. It's an excellent
organization for newcomers to the sport of distance riding, where they
can learn a great deal. I often run into riders who say they can't do a
NATRC ride cuz they can't tie their horse to a trailer overnight. Well,
my horses weren't born knowing how to stand tied to a trailer all night
either, but they sure know how to do it now. And it's nice knowing that
if my truck or trailer should break down on the way to or from a ride,
in the middle of the night, in the middle of nowhere, I can get that
horse out and safely tie him to the trailer, not having to worry about
setting up a tether line, portable corral, electric pen, etc. Just tie
to the trailer... My horse will stand tied anywhere. If I need to stop
along the trail to help a buddy, take a potty break, or whatever, I can
tie that horse, using the halter/lead rope that NATRC expects you to be
carrying at all times! Yes, there's lots of rules, but these skills that
the horse and rider pick up through NATRC do come in handy.

I am not saying NATRC is better than AERC. If I felt that way, I
wouldn't be addicted to RideCamp. What I am trying to point out is that
these are two different organizations and meet different needs for
different people/situations. Almost any person and any horse can do
NATRC, and benefit from what they and their horse can learn, as well as
the fun and friendships made at the rides. That doesn't mean you have to
agree with everything that NATRC does. But it does offer much that other
distance organizations don't offer. Not everyone can do a 50 or 100 mile
endurance ride. But that doesn't mean those who can't (or who don't have
the interest in this) should be trashing AERC's rides and activities. I
will never understand why it is that horse people so often can get so
set in their way of thinking or doing things that they close their minds
to new thoughts, new activities, new ideas. I think it's safe to say
that most of the people that are active contributors to this e-mail
group are fairly open-minded, but also can be very opinionated. The
message I hear behind some of these latest posts about NATRC is that
it's a worthless, useless organization. That simply is not true. Many,
many distance riders have gotten their start in NATRC. Not all endurance
riders need to start in NATRC, or should start in NATRC if they have no
interest in the sport. But I do hear questions come up on RideCamp about
horse manners (buddying problems, barn-sour, etc.), feeding, training,
and so much more. There's a lot of newcomers to these sports who need a
place to learn about these things. Don't discount NATRC.

As far as horsemanship... well, I have my opinions on that too and some
are better left unsaid. I have to admit, I used to like to go to horse
shows, but got burned out on the politics and all that. Still, it's fun
to show off at times how well trained and talented my horse (and I!)
are. But the horsemanship judging is more subjective than the horse
judging, and I just keep that in mind when I get my scorecard. If my
horse has performed for me as well as can be expected given his training
and the situation, I'm happy. If not, the scorecard usually reflects
that and I know what I have to work on when I get home. I go to these
rides to challenge myself and my horse, to have a good time, and am
rarely disappointed, regardless of the placing or outcome of the ride.

NATRC has changed some over the past ten years that I have been involved
in the sport. Rules change (such as the easyboot and electrolytes). A
comment made in an earlier post about NATRC booting riders out of novice
after so long was way off-base. In NATRC, after a rider has five first
place ribbons, they can finish out that ride year in the novice division
that they started in, but are no longer eligible for novice after that.
We do have another division, CP, which stands for Competitive Pleasure.
This division was created for riders who are no longer novices, but
cannot, or do not wish, to ride Open. The CP class goes the same
distance and speed as the novices, sometimes with more difficult
obstacles (often the same obstacles as the open horses). This has gotten
to be one very tough class, with many "retired" open horses/riders or
those who are unable to ride open for one reason or another. You can
ride in CP as long as you want. This provided a great way for me to get
back into competing after being laid up (sick) for a few years. I
couldn't do the open distance, but could manage CP. And anyone who
scoffs at the idea of a 40 to 60 mile competitive trail ride as not
being a serious sport needs to get off their high horse and try to
remember what it was like when they were first starting out. You don't
start out by riding a 100 mile ride. For many newcomers to horseback
riding, it's an accomplishment to make it through a 40 mile novice CTR
or a 25 mile LD ride. Let's try to encourage and support these persons
as best we can, through whichever organization we participate in.

And that's my very humble opinion!
Ruth