changing leads

I remember reading recently, in the archives I believe, a suggestion from
someone to count the strides when posting, and change diagonals on a
regular rhythm, like every 20 strides or something.  I thought this was a
good idea, so I started doing that a couple of weeks ago, and sure
enough, it's practically a normal rhythm for me now, and I don't have to
count all the time to keep it up.  I think this is much better than my
former method of changing every mile or so.

So it got me wondering about changing leads at the canter.  How many
people actually do flying lead changes at the canter on a ride?  How many
take pains to change leads periodically, and if so, how often and on what
occasion?  Lakota and I usually don't canter more than 1 mile at a time,
then he'll slow to a trot, stretch his neck/head down low a few times,
then pick his head up and canter again.  I figure this is good for him, so
I let him.  Now that we're working on the canter more, I began wondering
about lead changes.  He knows his cues, and can do flying lead changes,
but frankly I haven't made it a point to practice this much, and now I'm
wondering whether I should be....

TIA!

Glenda & Lakota
Mobile, AL