Re: advice at vet checks

Another thing you might consider working on for vet checks is the back
exam.  I like to go down my horse's back with my fingers flat fairly
often when I just start working him.  This not only helps me discover any
saddle problems, it prepares him for when the vets do the same.

Some vets, (usually new ones) are bad to dig in with their fingertips.
They can make a horse with an O.K. back flinch.  The worst thing that
ever happened to me in this area, was when one vet was lecturing several
others on how to properly check a back.  He had just checked my horse's
back and given it an "A", then he said, "But even a sound horse will give
to a bad exam!", and with that said, he pinched my horse's withers  very
firmly until his knees started to buckel!!!  This was about this horse's
3rd ride if I recall.  It took me months of deconditioning to get him to
not give a little crouch when a vet got to his withers after that
episode.  UG!!!

As long as you're at it, lightly kneed the suspensories when you check a
horse's feet.  If they get used to it, they're less likely to jerk away
and make a vet think they have sore suspensories.

Angie McGhee