advice at vet checks

I just finished reading a post on ridecamp on this subject (from
Karen C) and I found it very
helpful since I will be riding at my very first CTR this summer. I am
pretty sure that I have prepared my horse for most things that will
happen to him at the vet checks, except for one thing - handling his
hind legs (handling his front legs is no problem).
I do not mean to say that I have not been doing this,
because I have been doing my best to get him to pick up his hind legs, but
he will only let me hold his left hind leg for about 10 seconds before he
gets jittery and wants to put it back down. This is a big improvement
though from when I got him last year.
I am still having lots of trouble with his other hind leg. He does have
bone jacks in both hocks and has a long scar on that leg that I have
the most trouble with, along the cannon bone, but it is difficult to say
whether it is just psychological (i.e. he is anticipating pain from
the old injury) or physical (from the bone jacks). He is not lame and
has know problem bending his legs on his own (to kick at flies,
etc.).
He doesn't get very violent or upset either, but just forces his leg down
strongly  enough that you can't possibly hold on to it. He doesn't mind
his legs being touched or rubbed or handled at all, until you ask him to
pick a foot up. I have had to tranquilize him up to now for shoeing.
I am hoping that one day I won't have to :).
Does anyone think this will give me problems at the vet checks? Or any ideas (as I
continue trying to work on this) to improve this problem? So far
TTouch has been helpful to an extent.
Lysane and Buck