Re: Heart Rates and Bigger Horses

>I've been wondering about something so I figure I'd put it out to the
>group.  I've noticed, now that I have a hrm, that my 15.1 arab's heart rate
>always seems to run about 20 beats higher then the smaller horses we ride
>with.  He comes down just as fast so I am not worried but just curious.  Do
>bigger horses run a slightly higher heart rate due to their size, more mass
>to pump through, or is that just Blue's own metabolism?

It is probably the horse.  Misty (16-2 walking horse) runs slower than
Jordy  15-2 Arab) at the same speed.  And Dan (15-3 Arab) runs slower than
either.  But they all recover to 64 in about the same time.

Truman

Truman Prevatt
Mystic "The Horse form Hell" Storm
Little Stormy - getting ready for her first ride in six years
The Rockman, a.k.a Misty Jr.
Jordy, a.k.a. Bridger - Finaly getting his shot

Sarasota, FL