Re: Heart Rates and Bigger Horses

In a message dated 98-03-30 11:26:32 EST, horsetrails@inficad.com writes:

<< I've noticed, now that I have a hrm, that my 15.1 arab's heart rate
 always seems to run about 20 beats higher then the smaller horses we ride
 with.  He comes down just as fast so I am not worried but just curious.  Do
 bigger horses run a slightly higher heart rate due to their size, more mass
 to pump through, or is that just Blue's own metabolism? >>

Hi, Cheryl--

No, I don't think that larger Arabs' heart rates should run any higher, and I
would say that it is just his metabolism.  I do find, though, more large Arabs
that are less efficient at just about everything metabolically, and I firmly
believe that this has come about in our determination to select for height at
the expense of all other genetic traits.  When tall horses "happen" in
programs that don't select for height, they don't tend to be any different
than their shorter stablemates in terms of metabolism or cardiac capability.
People who are determined to ride taller horses need to be VERY cautious in
their selection to make sure they don't get a horse that they may be
psychologically comfortable on, but that can't carry them because they can't
summon up enough energy or circulate their blood efficiently enough to do so.

Heidi