Re: Heart Rates and Bigger Horses

In a message dated 98-03-30 11:26:33 EST, horsetrails@inficad.com writes:

<< I've been wondering about something so I figure I'd put it out to the
 group.  I've noticed, now that I have a hrm, that my 15.1 arab's heart rate
 always seems to run about 20 beats higher then the smaller horses we ride
 with.  He comes down just as fast so I am not worried but just curious.  Do
 bigger horses run a slightly higher heart rate due to their size, more mass
 to pump through, or is that just Blue's own metabolism?

                                  Cheryl Newbanks  >>

Bigger horses are less efficient, especially at slow speeds. So the heartrate
should reflect that difference.

ti