Attitudes

   As to endurance riders having an attitude of some type towards LD riders, I
personally have very rarely seen any of this at the west region rides. In
general the endurance riders are more than willing to help and advise the LD
riders, if they are willing to ask. What I do see is somewhat of a chip on the
shoulders of many LD riders, and from what I read, I perceive a much greater
one. The only time I ever hear an endurance rider commenting on a LD rider is
when they are complaining about being second class citizens. We have rude
riders is all divisions, we have bad vets, we have bad ridemanagers, but these
are the exception. We all get our toes stepped on at times. It goes with the
territory. But no one appreciates someone who whines that they are being
picked on all the time. But we do seem to have them at almost all rides, 50"s,
100's, and the LD's. If you have a legitimate complaint take it to the
ridemanagemer or to the AERC office, but dont blame it on endurance riders
looking at you as second class citizens. This would be the exception rather
than the rule. I dont care if you want to ride LD all your life, or what ever.
But whining that you were picked on by the big bad endurance riders is getting
a bit old. We endurance riders welcome all riders to the sport and are willing
to help those who ask, and few of us look down at anyone enjoying the sport.
But we do resent those that come into our sport and do nothing but complain
that it doesnt cater to thier particular wants and desires. If you want to do
our sport, get to know the rules, written and unwritten, have courtesy and
respect and you will recieve it, at least from most of us. To you newbies, we
welcome you and look forward to your participation. Newbies are not treated as
a few would have you believe.
                                          Ken Cook ( west region)