Land of the Neversweats - Ride Story <long>

Now we're down to either unpack, or sit at the computer and write about the
ride.  Hmmmm...which shall I do? <vbg>

We lucked out with fairly decent weather for the ride this weekend.  The
ride was the Land of the Neversweats, near Honey Lake (Susanville, Ca).
There was a 25 and a 55 miler.  I'm not sure how many participated, I think
around 30 in the 55 and a couple of dozen in the 25.

Took Weaver to this one.  Was planning on maybe trying for a conservative
top ten, as long as it wasn't too fast.  (haha, I lied).  I really ate my
words on this one.  Oh yeah, I'm gonna ride slow I tell everybody.  We
actually ended up tieing for first place on the 55 with a ride time of
5:15.  It didn't seem like we rode fast, there just wasn't anybody else
there going really-really fast.  The girl I crossed the finish line with
had agreed to go in together as a tie so we didn't have to race our horses
hard.  I think she knew my horse would beat hers, and I felt that it wasn't
worth the risk of injury to the horses or ourselves to run in full speed.
We were already galloping.  She had a ten minute head start on me on the
last 16 miles loop.  I still caught her - and we ended up doing that loop
in about an hour and a half.

The trail was really nice, with mostly good footing.  There were a few
rocks on the first loop but nothing really bad.  Still, was glad to have
the easy boots on.  We had a few mellow climbs, mostly rolling type stuff.
The first vet check was about 16 miles into the ride.  We had no idea we
were so far up in the front.  We caught up with Dave Rabe and commented
about how far ahead the front runners must be, because we couldn't see
them.  Then he says "we ARE the front runners".  WHAT!!??  No way, that
can't be??  Well, it was true.  The vet check was all screwed up.  I went
right in and P&R'd my horse and got my 15 minute hold time.  Well, after we
had been there a few minutes some other riders came in and P&R'd - well,
guess what---they let them go out on the trail before us, and wouldn't let
us go. Three riders were allowed to go out that weren't even in camp after
we got our P&R's.  I tried to explain this but they didn't care and made us
stay and wait.  It didn't really matter, but was still frustrating.

Saw the good and bad in people at this ride.  If I ever don't put my horse
first, somebody shoot me.  Two riders on separate occasions went right past
water stops without giving their horses a chance to drink.  What was that
all about?  I stopped every time and my horse drank his fill.  Geez people,
don't deny your horse a chance to drink.  If you don't take care of your
horse, it won't take care of you!

A couple of people got top tens on this ride for the first time.  One was
Dorothy (hi dorothy), and the other was Dale Peterson.  Guess what!! Dale's
first top ten and he also got BEST CONDITION!! I think that is so great,
and Dale was so excited.  He really deserves it, I was really happy for
him.  There were a lot of other ridecampers there.   My friend Pat (we went
to the ride together) came in 8th on her mare Lady.

Did do some blood glucose readings on the horse.  Got some readings.  Had
some trouble getting a drop of blood out of him during the ride.  He just
doesn't want to bleed.  Gotta work this one out.

I did show for BC.  I have a question for the more experienced out there.
Weaver's CRI was 40/44.  Yet, he was still given a "10" on his recovery
index on his BC score sheet.  Is that right?  If a CRI goes up (even if it
is only 4 points), isn't that a bad thing?    I knew we wouldn't get BC,
but still I was happy with how he did.  He doesn't usually show well, and
we are working on that.  At least now I don't have to drag him around the
circle.  He was sound and had good vet scores, with heart rates of 40-44
most of the ride (well, he did have one 48), so I was really happy with how
he did.  I still feel guilty though, I really wasn't planning on going
fast.  <honest>

It was so much fun tho!!!  <VBG>

The awards were all nice.  We all got t-shirts that have a drawing of an
endurance horse going down the trail, and on the horses butt they put our
horses number.  The rest of the awards were handmade arts and crafts.  Some
really nice stuff.  The only thing that I absolutely do not agree with is
they gave top ten awards for the 25 miler. They also gave a first junior
award on the 25.  I don't think that's right...but anyhow...all the top
tenners (25's and 55's) got to draw envelopes to pick their award.  I still
can't believe that I got.  (do I want to believe it?) <g>.  I'm sure it's
the most unique award ever given at an endurance ride, that is for sure.
It's a painted deer skull.  Yep, a real authentic deer skull.  Teeth and
all.  It's decorated in bright colors with symbols on it, feathers, leather
ties, etc.  It's supposed to be a good omen.  Maybe it will bring us good
luck, who knows.  Now where does one put a deer skull?  ;^)

Happy Trails,

Karen
in Gardnerville
& Dream Weaver, 1360 miles
& Rocky...see you at Derby Ditch in 2 weeks!