Re: Weed-free hay

<< Yes, it is true that some states (and some areas of states) have
regulations
 about hay coming in.  They are trying to prevent spread of various weeds and
 toxic plants to protect their own hay growers.  It pays to plan ahead and
have
 a source in a state where you are hauling through to buy a bale or two. >>

My experience with this has been related to the US Forest Service in Colorado,
which, under pressure from environmental groups (the Sierra Club MAYBE?) put
regulations into effect that require "certified weed-free hay" when camping
with horses on Forest Service land.   In Colorado I buy it at a local feed
store in Colorado Springs (I come from New Mexico) which puts well over an
hour out of my way.   Some times ride managers have it for sale but they can
never promise it so I always find my own.  It runs me around $7 a bale and my
horses don't like it very well.  (And I don't think it's truly 100% weed-free)
Plus, it's an immediate change of feed as the stuff is not available within
reasonable driving distance of my home.   Personally, I think this is the
STUPIDEST idea I have ever heard of, because I feed my horses their regular
feed all the way up to when I arrive in camp, and then they just poop out
their "weeded" hay first thing upon arriving.  So the USFS has to wait however
long (I suppose at least a day - Heidi?) it takes the old food to exit the
horse's system to start getting "weed free poop".   I had heard rumors that
they were going to lift these restrictions but haven't seen it happen yet in
Colorado.  Also, of the rides I have been to that required the "weed free"
junk, no one ever came by to verify that we were feeding it.  And just in case
anyone is curious, you can tell the weed-free bales by the fun bi-colored
string they use on the bales -- which some people cut off and save to put
under thier "regular" hay.  Hah!