Re: tying in a trailer

Chris Paus wrote:

> Well, looks like I started another round of flames...
>
> I used to always tie the horses in the trailer until watching a John Lyons
> video which explained the reasons not to. It seemed  logical to me at the
> time!
>
> chris and *

Im surprised.  What were John Lyons reasons not to?  When I started out
with horses, I naturally tied them until someone told me not to.  So,
okay.  Then I had to haul a big TB mare for someone and as soon as she
stepped into the two-horse side-by-side, she twisted her head around and
got well and truly stuck.  We tried everything to get her unstuck and
finally decided the only way was to remove the center divider.  No
sooner did I lift it up then she tried to turn around in the trailer,
pinning me to the side and breaking numerous ribs.  So now I tie, but I
use one of those bungee ties that have alot of give to them.  In an
accident, I think they would keep the horse from flying out the back
window, but doubt they could snap his neck.

BTW, just to add another tidbit, I saw a young (2 yo) horse that was
hauled across country loose in a stock trailer.  Apparently he spent the
whole trip doing laps, because he came out with about eighty brand new
splints.  He was there on a purchase approval and needless to say, the
prospective owners turned him down and sent him right back.  Don't blame
them.  So I tie in stock trailers, too, but that's just me.

Susan