Re: Hay cubes

In a message dated 98-03-20 19:45:12 EST, suendavid@worldnet.att.net writes:

<< Third, is it safe to feed cubes while trailering?

 I wouldn't, just to be on the safe side.  I've heard way too many
 stories of choke, which wouldn't be as big a problem if the horse could
 lower and straighten his neck to cough.  >>

Have to say that Susan is right on about the danger of choke in the trailer.
The more "chopped" the feed (as in cubes) the higher the risk.  And when they
can't lower their heads when they choke, the saliva (contaminated with feed)
can run into their lungs and cause aspiration pneumonia.  If they get that, it
tends to be fatal.

Nope, not safe, no way--lost one of my truly lovely mares this way several
years ago, and have seen too many close calls with clients since.

Heidi Smith, DVM--Sagehill Arabians (Oregon)