Re: The Great Debate

Linda- et-all
I was waiting for this one.
GOOD FER YOU LINDA!!!

Way back in the 80s I started rec running.. I was a MARTHON  runner
HAHAHA

Did all that lindia said.. the REAL runners use to 'ride' us rec road
runners.. like' why dont you try a REAL race.. like 26.2 miles..
Heard that one before at the OD..
I was doing ECTRA CTR and some 50 mile endurance races in those days. SO
the running program was to get me ready for a REAL endurance race --
like Dr MMS  says ' do a WHOLE ride'  ---the target- the OD 100..

A funny thing happened.. I really liked running. So the 5 miler became
10k then 10 miles..
these were great.. and at 38 yrs old - I was doing ok. Getting finished
..just like my horse in the 6mph CTR -- going along at a nice 8 minute
mile..no problems

The I did the 13.2 miler.. ops --this was REAL.. I KNEW  I was really
running.. and buy the way I NEVER walked in  a race.. it WAS called a
RUN   right.. you got harrassed IF a real runner passed you. you gutted
it out
What was left BUT  go the whole way.. so the plan was "once before 40 in
less then 4"

Did it 3:50  at 40 yrs
Now folks you DO really know there IS quite a difference in a 5 mile
road run vs 26.2 marathon??  Thats WHY its called a MARATHON. I only did
ONE!!
But I ran many more 10ks very slow..

There were MANY of my runinng friends that never felt compelled  (or
nuts ) enough to do the whole thing..but they did NOT try to place
themself in the same class as those that ran the big ones.
No more then do I consider myself a 100 mile endurance rider/racer.. ONE
100 miler does not count..
I do NOT put anyone down who can not --for what ever reason-  move up to
50/100..miles. but to claim to be on an equal basis and expect credit
for the miles, is deluting ? the miles earned by those who battle the
longer distances.

Just like I am NOT an ULTRA- MARATHON runner..

I know this issue will never be resolved, but until you go over that
point -that was established years ago..50 miles-- you just wont know
what it like, and why the feelings from those who have gone there--are
so strong to insure the difference is maintained.

I again dont want to hurt anyones feeling.. and my wife is one who DOES
NOT agree with me on this issue.. and she HAS done alot of 50 miles AND
the OD100..and she wants the mileage credit..

But LDs are not endurnace.. my opinion.

I did 2 LDs- last year a slow one on my old mare with Carol on her 24 yr
old..just to support the SERA ride..no race. The I did the Oconne 2
weeks ago in 3 hrs.. sorry but I did not feel that I did a big thing..
It WAS fun and a real rush to go FAST, But it was NOT the same sense of
acomplishment that I get from the 50. but for others it was a great
feat.
Its all in our personal view of the sport. The founders and those
members set down the foundations years ago. If we want to be part of the
glory then measure up to the task.

In any case - just have a great ride- enjoy the sport at what ever level
you select.
and help the new riders to do better.

For me it HAS to be 50/100

Had a GREAT run at the horse park this weekend.. more to come..
Roger R
"RAT RUNS ROLEX"