The Great Debate

Being very new to this arena, I am quite confused by the arguments
raging here.  I have not yet ridden my first LD or Endurance ride but
hope to this summer with my 4 children, ages 6-10.  I will start with LD
rides to learn how to survive and succeed in longer distance rides and
hopefully will "graduate" to Endurance rides as my horse, my kids and
myself learn more about the process and goals.  I have competed in many
sports in my young life and don't understand why people are fighting
about two different organizations and their standards.  I would never
ask that my high school swimming records be imposed on my AAU or college
programs.  They are different organizations with their own records and
scoring.  You don't qualify for the Boston Marathon by running the 440
in high school nor should you hope to carry achievements over from LD to
Endurance.  From what little I know, they are two different
organizations and two different scoring/ record keeping entities.  Enjoy
your success where ever they may occur and always strive to improve
"YOUR OWN PERSONAL BEST".  This is the philosophy I will be teaching my
children as we become involved in this new aspect of horse ownership and
the love of our horses.  Who cares what patches you wear on your coat
but you and your mother. If anyone out there is going to judge me or my
kids based upon what awards we earn, I'd just as soon not ride with
them.  We ride our horses to have fun and to push our horses and
ourselves to do the best we can on a given day. Kathy