Re: overbending

Can't remember now who posted the original "overbending" question, but I don't
recall whether the poster stated if it was just the neck that was overbent, or
if the horse was truly engaging its rear end and rounding its back.  Many show
"trainers" work hard to "set" the head instead of achieving true collection,
and this is a tougher problem because the rest of the horse is not in
position.

I would agree with the posters who have replied that the horse may be seeking
somem contact and that you may need some light contact to get this horse to
correct.  You are still better off, though, than with the horse with the head
stuck up in the air and the back hollowed--even if the body is not "right" it
is hard to completely hollow the back with the overbent neck.

Have had one mare that was like this, and she has relaxed a lot by just doing
lots of relaxed miles.  I have used her a lot clearing, marking, and unmarking
trail, where she has a lot of freedom and less intensity.  She is doing great
in a mechanical hackamore, although I think the bosal suggestion from a couple
of other posters would be a better solution in terms of actual communication
with the horse.

Heidi Smith, DVM--Sagehill Arabians (Oregon)