overbending

Two quick thoughts come to mind regarding the horse who is reaching too
far down with his head.  I've seen very well trained horses do this when
they are looking for contact.  Try a little light contact on the bit and
see if anything changes.  Try a couple of half-halts,a little contact
and a squeeze with your legs to ask him to lift his head and "come
together".

You haven't said how old, or how well trained this guy is but if he's
green and hasn't been ridden much , he could be trying to take some
strain off his back.  My youngsters have travelled this way when their
back muscles were not accustomed to a rider's weight.

Just a thought...