Re: Are LD miles Endurance miles? was Re: NOT FLUFF

NO ONE IS ASKING FOR HANDOUTS JOE, or unearned platitudes. Don't get your
shorts in a knot. My suggestion was simply a third category of TOTAL
LIFETIME MILES. It could easily be broken down into LD miles and real,
honest to god, true endurance miles. It would not be a difficult thing to
calculate or to show in Endurance News.

Example: horse A: 2500 Lifetime
                  1500 E (endurance)
		     1000 LD
You are still separating the LD and endurance miles, but recognizing the
total effort over a horse's lifetime and rider's career.

Of course, you wouldn't count your training miles or fun ride miles. We're
talking about competition miles in AERC sanctioned rides.

chris and *

At 06:43 AM 3/13/98 GMT, Joe Long wrote:
>On Fri, 13 Mar 1998 00:27:09 EST, SandyDSA <SandyDSA@aol.com> wrote:
>
>>In a message dated 98-03-12 16:00:13 EST, you write:
>
>><< So, should the miles from ten mile "fun rides" held at an Endurance
>> events count, too?  How about riding once around the camp?
>
>> Try a little experiment.  The next time a Marathon is held in your
>> area, go and sign up.  But tell them you're only going to run 13
>> miles, and that you'll come back next week and run the other 13.  See
>> if they'll give you credit for running a Marathon.
>
>>I don't believe that this kind of sarcasm engenders positive, warm
feelings in
>>new riders or prospective riders. I don't think this opinion from this post
>>has been lost on anyone. Enough of the "I got mine, now buzz off" stuff.
Okay?
>>Thanks!
>
><sigh>
>
>I didn't enter this discussion to hurt anyone's feelings.  My first wife
had a
>bad heart (which killed her at age 52) and never had a chance to ride 50
miles.
>But she did manage, with great effort and determination, to complete a 25
mile
>ride.  We were both proud as could be when she did that -- I know what it
took
>for her to even try!
>
>But, frankly, I've lost patience with the perrenial demands of a few 25 mile
>riders to be *given* the recognition of being an endurance rider, without
doing
>what is required to earn it.  So I no longer care if I hurt their feelings.
>They are trying to cheapen the achievements of every one of the thousands of
>real endurance riders and horses by demanding that a 25 mile ride be
counted as
>an endurance ride.
>
>When I see a horse *earn* his 1,000 mile medallion, I want to know that he
>completed an honest 1,000 miles of *endurance* rides.  The same for rider
>mileage patches.
>
>So, *NO*, my attitude is not "I got mine, so buzz off."  It is "I earned my
>endurance miles and if you want the same then you should earn yours too."
And