Mileage is not Mileage

<< simpler to just say "miles is miles" -- whether gotten in 25, 30, 50, 60,
 75, 100 mile chunks, or some combination thereof.

Mileage is not the same, any horse ( that isnt sick or dead ) can complete 25
miles. LD mileage is easy to add up. Endurance mileage is a bit tougher to
earn, it is harder to get a horse through 50 -100 miles and get credit for the
mileage, so it is earned at a much higher price to horse and rider. 25 miles
is a conditioning and training distance, no more no less. This is not to say
LD riders are less in my eyes, they do what they want to do, and that is fine.
But they are not endurance rides and the mileage should not be recorded that
way. If you want lifetime endurance miles, earn them by doing endurance miles.
I did LD's, but I never considered them endurance miles, even though at the
time they did feel like it. I have no problem with LD riders having mileage,
or prizes, or whatever. I am not bad mouthing LD riders, But when you move up
to endurance rides you will understand the difference, and you will have
"earned" the right to endurance miles and to be called an Endurance rider. Get
the title the old fashion way, earn it............. Flame away... But facts
are facts!!!!
                                            Ken Cook (west region endurance
rider)