Training..to much...to little

As I was reading over the last digest I noticed that the majority of the
endurance riders recommended 3 days a week of trail training.  Well, I have a
question?  I am entering my first endurance race in early May and I have just
started conditioning my Arab for this (weather hasn't permited in the last 4
months) and my training goes like:  day off......Dressage Work.......Trail
training......trail training........day off.....etc.  I was wondering if this
seems like over work?  My arab was a third level dressage horse and even
though he is out of condition has a resting heart rate at 31.  I live at a
high elevation (8000) and have alot of hills around.  I am by no means going
out on the so called "trail days" and just trotting my horse until he is beat
dead, I have been doing ALOT of walking (which my horse is finding EXTREAMLY
boring) and a little trotting.  Basicaly, I am just wondering if all of you
endurace riders think this is too much, too little or am I just plain
clueless?  I greattly appreciate any info any of you might be able to send my
direction.  Thank you.
Johnna  (Olympian06@aol.com)