Re: Leg length

In a message dated 98-03-06 00:30:37 EST, dfletche@gte.net writes:

<<  In general, which is more desireable (and why)  for an endurance horse,
 > relative to body length and height.... longer or shorter legs?

Neither--a well-balanced horse is preferable to either extreme.  I have always
had a rule of thumb--if a horse "looks" tall or short, I am not interested.
If he "looks" normal from a distance, then when I walk up and put a hand on
his withers and discover that he is 14 hh or 16 hh, I don't really care.  If a
horse is out of proportion, some part of him will have to expend more effort
to compensate, and it isn't worth it.

Heidi Smith, DVM--Sagehill Arabians (Oregon)