Re: keeping weight on

In a message dated 98-03-06 01:32:31 EST, Tivers@aol.com writes:

<< If your horse
 drops 50 to 100 lbs, 90% of that is going to be working muscle.  >>

Although you are right about losing the glycogen, Tom, I think that a lot of
the "weight" loss with our endurance horses is the fiber fill and fluid fill
in the gut.  At least enough to make SOME inroads into the 90% figure.  I just
don't think the glycogen replaces by Sunday morning, and my guys seem to have
a fair amount back by then.  Would be fun to try to generate some numbers on
this...  Also, I think your figure might be closer for 50-milers than for
100's.  The slower and farther they go, the more they rely on volatile fatty
acids, although they do most certainly use glycogen, too...

Heidi