[Fwd: Weapons and Self Defense]

-- BEGIN included message

Dear Wendy,
	I often lurk this site over my wife's shoulder since she hogs the computer most of the time
and I have little else to do. (:->) I have followed the great gun debate with some
interest.  I think the advice and reasoning you presented was very succinct, very correct,
and very well thought out.
	The police are a deterrent to crime only when they are around and I have noticed a distinct
lack of them patroling the forest trails frequented by riders.  All but the stupidest of
criminals are deterred by a police presence.  In the woods, however, where that presence is
absent, some of our less than delightful citizens feel much less inhibited about committing
an assault.  I am afraid that a loaded and well aimed firearm is occasionally the only
effective way to get some macho, one toothed, no brainer's attention.
	There are also the "agricultural criminals" that inhabit the wooded areas of our country
and not just the Pacific Northwest either.  These people are notorious for their less than
sacred respect for human life if it threatens their lucrative enterprise.  It is these
people that concern me the most.  They are not likely to be a problem on well traveled or
well marked trails used for equine activity, however, not all trails are well marked, even
for some "organized rides" I have seen, and riders do occasionally get lost and spend some
time wandering around in uncharted territory.  It would seem prudent to be able to protect
oneself from these people.  While a rider is not likely to be as well armed as these scum,
it does give the rider the choice of being slaughtered like a lamb or exercising the right
of self-defense should the worst case present itself.
	It is a sad state of affairs when peaceable citizens must, or feel that they must, arm
themselves to contend with the unsavory elements in our society.  I find it particularly
onerous that a woman can no longer be assured of her safety no matter where whe choses to
go.  That, to me, is an annoyance of cosmic proportions.
	I think your comments were right-on.

                                 Bill

-- END included message